Regulations on the Awarding of the Director Outstanding Scholarship of the National Center for Nanoscience and Technology
To further motivate the registered postgraduates in the Center to work hard and seek innovation, discover and reward outstanding postgraduates, and to improve the quality of the Center’s postgraduate education and promote the development of its scientific research, the Director Outstanding Scholarship of the National Center for Nanoscience and Technology (hereinafter referred to as the “Center’s Director Outstanding Scholarship”) is hereby set up.
On the basis of the original Regulations on the Awarding of the Director Scholarship of the National Center for Nanoscience and Technology, the Regulations are hereby formulated after making some adjustment to the arrangement, candidate qualifications, and selection and review procedure of the scholarship.
Article 1. Scholarship Arrangement
Designed to award all-round excellent postgraduates registered with the Center, the Center’s Director Outstanding Scholarship is awarded to postgraduates through a selection and review process. Awarded to no more than 2% of the registered postgraduates each year, the amount of the scholarship is 12,000 yuan per year. The scholarship is financed by the education fund of the Center’s Education Division and is paid on a monthly basis (generally from September of the year of awarding to August of the following year).
The original basic monthly allowance of 300 yuan per person will no longer be set up as a separate scholarship. The payment of the allowance is set forth in the Additional Regulations.
Article 2. Candidate Qualifications
1) Loving his/her motherland as a socialist country, and supporting the leadership of the Communist Party of China;
2) Abiding by the Constitution and laws, and following the rules and regulations of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences;
3) Being a person of integrity and good moral character;
4) Having been awarded the honorary title of Outstanding Student of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences during his/her study here, with excellent academic performance, remarkable scientific research ability, and astonishing potential. A paper accepted by a high-quality journal or an invention patent application of important use (achieving important technological innovation, and yielding good economic and social benefits) is also required.
Article 3. Any of the following circumstances would disqualify a candidate from the Center’s Director Outstanding Scholarship:
1) Having been subject to any disciplinary sanction for seriously violating the rules and regulations of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences or the Center;
2) Having failed the test of one or more courses or compulsory assessment;
3) Being given a comment of failure on the dissertation work and performance by the supervisor;
4) National Scholarship recipient during the study at the Center.
Article 4. Selection and Review Procedure
1) Candidate’s application. Registered postgraduates should submit related materials before the deadline according to the notice on the review procedure. The performance or achievements cited for the application should be those published by the candidate during his/her study here. Any paper or patent that has been awarded by the previous Director Outstanding Scholarship of the Center cannot be reused for application.
2) The Center’s review. The Center’s Director Outstanding Scholarship selection and review is conducted in conjunction with that of the National Scholarship. First, the Center’s Director Outstanding Scholarship and the National Scholarship Review Committee is set up. It consists of 7 to 9 people, including at least one leader of the Center. The selection and review should be conducted in the form of oral defense. The members of the committee should cast disclosed ballot. The results of the preliminary selection shall be effective with the consent of no less than two thirds of all members of the committee. The number of candidates conducting formal defense should not exceed 1.5 times the number of recommended recipients of the scholarship. If the number of applicants exceeds the number of candidates conducting defense, a communication review will be added before the formal defense to determine the number of candidates participating in the formal defense.
3) Public announcement of the results. The results of the primary selection must be made public for no less than 5 working days.
Article 5. Other Matters
1) The payment of the Center’s Director Outstanding Scholarship will be made to the recipients till the month of dissertation defense and graduation (June in the case of degree awarding in the summer, and December in the case of degree awarding in the winter), and a two-month payment will be made that month.
2) Recipients of the Center’s Director Outstanding Scholarship will still receive payment during the period of schooling suspension or government-sponsored overseas study (including study funded by the China Scholarship Council; in the case of overseas study funded by the institute or the supervisor’s research group, it will depend on the actual condition).
Education Division, National Center for Nanoscience and Technology
To guarantee the scientific research activities and basic living conditions of all the postgraduates of the Center, a basic allowance of 300 yuan per month is given to each postgraduate. All the eligible registered postgraduates of the Center are entitled to the allowance, which is financed by the education fund of the Center’s Education Division.
1. The application for basic allowance should be submitted online, and there is no selection and review process for the allowance. To be granted the allowance of the current year, postgraduates should fill in the Academic Year Assessment Form for the current year in the online education system of the University of Academy of Sciences, detailing this year’s scientific research and activities;
2. The basic allowance will be paid to the recipient until the month of dissertation defense and graduation (June in the case of degree awarding in the summer, and December in the case of degree awarding in the winter);
3. Basic allowance for postponed postgraduates will be borne by their respective research groups;
4. During the period of schooling suspension or government-sponsored overseas study (including study funded by the China Scholarship Council; in the case of overseas study funded by the institute or the supervisor’s research group, it will depend on the actual condition), the payment of basic allowance will be suspended, and will be resumed after the recipient is back to the Center to continue with the study or is back to China from overseas study;
5. The basic allowance will not be given to recipients of TWAS-CAS Scholarship, on-the-job doctoral candidates, or recipients of the National Scholarship or the Center’s Director Outstanding Scholarship of the current year.