How to Apply for a Change of Specialty
Notice on the Submission of Application for Switching Specialty across Different Disciplines
Pursuant to Article 22 of the Regulations for the Administration of Students of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, “If a postgraduate intends to switch to a specialty under another discipline, he/she should revise his/her personal development plan according to the development program of the discipline he/she intends to switch to and supervisor’s requirements before applying for the specialty change. After the preliminary examination of his/her institute, the application should be to be subject to the review of the Degree Evaluation Committee meeting of the disciplines group he/she intends to switch to before being submitted to the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences for review”, the application of interdisciplinary specialty change shall be subject to the review of the Degree Evaluation Committee of the disciplines group.
An applicant should submit applications and materials for switching to a specialty under another discipline (including the cases of engineering masters switching to another field) to the Postgraduate Department. Degrees are reviewed and approved in summer and winter each year.
1. The following materials should be submitted:
1) The paper version of the Review Form of Student’s Academic Status Change (one for each applicant) signed with the comments.
2) Transcript of the applicant (both paper and electronic versions).
3) The development plan of the applicant that complies with the development program of the specialty he/she intends to switch to (Annex 1) (both paper and electronic versions).
4) Applicant who has completed the dissertation proposal or mid-term assessment needs to provide the dissertation proposal or mid-term report (both paper and electronic versions).
5) Electronic version of the Summary Sheet of Applications for Interdisciplinary Specialty Change of Postgraduates of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (Annex 2).
6) Opinions of the Degree Committee of each unit (According to the requirements of some disciplines group committees, the opinions of the Degree Committee of the institute should include: whether the applicant’s development plan and the curriculum meets the requirements of the development program of the discipline he/she intends to switch to; whether the specialty change is approved. A single copy in the paper version can be provided, containing above-mentioned information for all students in one unit applying for specialty change).
7) Other materials deemed necessary by the institute.
1) Applicants must fill in the Review Form of Student’s Academic Status Change in its entirety, specifying good reasons for the application.
2) The columns of opinions of the applicant’s supervisor and institute should be clearly specified, with the full dates indicated.
3) The development plan for an applicant should be filled in according to the form listed as Annex 1. Among them, in the item “curriculum development plan”, the applicant may list only the “planned courses”, and provide transcripts for “courses already taken”.
4) According to Article 23 of the Regulations for the Administration of Students of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, any postgraduate is not allowed to apply for specialty change within six months before his/her graduation registration. Therefore, any application for specialty change from a student who registers graduation in the summer of 2018 will not be accepted this time.
3. Deadline for submitting the materials:
Before May or before the end of the November each year
Contact person: Lou Xiaojun
Annex 1. Development Plan for Postgraduates of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Annex 2. Summary Sheet of Applications for Interdisciplinary Specialty Change